This blog is dedicated to my husband who sees my imperfections and doesn't mention them.

I love trying new beauty products. Place me in a Sephora or Ulta store and I feel I am in paradise. For hours I can pleasantly entertain myself looking at the plethora of different shampoos, facial washes, makeup and perfumes, envisioning myself as a size 0 with glowing clear skin, no split ends, and being stopped by every man in America asking “What’s that scent you are wearing? (Ok, maybe not EVERY man)

One of my downfalls , as my mother will readily tell you, is that I am a sucker for cool packaging and intriguing ingredients. That inclination has resulted in trying hundreds of different products over the years – good and bad. Some products I have used ever since I was in college and I would rather exit the house with no makeup and hairy arm pits then see my fav end up on the proverbial chopping block. Others I have readily discarded vowing never again to be duped by flowery ingredients which deliver zero results.

Because of my “beauty product love”, I probably have more knowledge roaming around in my head than Wikipedia. So I decided to start this blog to share my adventures with you on the quest for beauty, giving my recommendations and warnings so your money can be well spent. The subject matter may be a tad vain, but ultimately every woman has an innate desire to look and feel her best and there is nothing wrong with that. Happy reading, and if you don’t come for my daily blabberings at least drop by for my contest giveaways that I hope to do every other month.


How Groomed Do You Have to Be for a Guy?

groomed-for-a-guy.jpgWe put on lipstick and curl our hair as much for ourselves as we do for dudes (or, let's get real, for female coworkers): It not only makes us look pulled-together, it gives us a psychological boost (during the recession, surveys showed that many of the unemployed were getting up and getting ready, simply because it made them feel better). All that said, we're not slaves to beauty: If we're feeling too lazy to shave our legs a couple days in the winter—when they'll be hidden by black tights or skinny jeans anyway—well, we don't. If we skip mascara when we're running late one morning, we don't beat ourselves up (and we don't expect others to, either).

Recently we stumbled upon a Q&A column in a Seattle newspaper about impressing men with your beauty routine. The woman who wrote in said she had been "very vigilant in my grooming habits" for the past six months to impress a man she was dating, and as she was starting to slip back into her "normal" routine, the guy was taking notice—commenting, for instance, when she didn't wear makeup. Now, you'd be hard-pressed to find a woman who wasn't on her best beauty behavior when she first started dating a guy, but six months in? As the woman wrote, "I'm not a slob or anything, it's just that sometimes I just don't feel like shaving, and $65 bikini waxes add up." (We hear ya.) While we don't know the grooming habits of the guy in question, the situation makes us wonder if there's a double standard at play: Does he rush to the bathroom to shave his five o'clock shadow? Get quizzical looks on his unwashed hair on a lazy Saturday? No one's perfect, and as long as you've not become slovenly, we think it's just fine to loosen up your routine a bit...and let yourself live like a normal human being (not a robot). What do you think? In a relationship, how long do you remain diligent with every single element of your grooming routine? And do you think there's a double standard: Are women expected to look "perfect" in a way men aren't?

RELATED LINKS:
Daily Beauty Reporter: Do Guys Have No Love for Curly-Haired Girls?
Daily Beauty Reporter: What's Your Favorite Feature?
Daily Beauty Reporter: Do You Get What Guys Find Sexy?
Daily Beauty Reporter: Is a Blowout "Better" Than Curls?

PHOTO: GETTY IMAGES


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No response to “How Groomed Do You Have to Be for a Guy?”

Leave a Reply